In pursuance of its Action Plan for performance evaluation, assessment and accreditation and quality up-gradation of institutions of higher education, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore proposes that every accredited institution should establish an Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) as a post-accreditation quality sustenance measure. Since quality enhancement is a continuous process, the IQAC will become a part of the institution’s system and work towards realisation of the goals of quality enhancement and sustenance. The prime task of the IQAC is to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the overall performance of institutions. For this, during the post-accreditation period, it will channelize all efforts and measures of the institution towards promoting its holistic academic excellence.
The guidelines provided in the following pages will guide and facilitate the institution in the creation and operation of the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC). The work of the IQAC is the first step towards internalization and institutionalization of quality enhancement initiatives. Its success depends upon the sense of belongingness and participation it can inculcate in all the constituents of the institution. It will not be yet another hierarchical structure or a record-keeping exercise in the institution. It will be a facilitative and participative voluntary system/unit/organ of the institution. It has the potential to become a vehicle for ushering in quality enhancement by working out planned interventionist strategies to remove deficiencies and enhance quality like the “Quality Circles” in industries.
The primary aim of IQAC is
- To develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the institution.
- To promote measures for institutional functioning towards quality enhancement through internalization of quality culture and institutionalization of best practices.
IQAC shall evolve mechanisms and procedures for
- Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks;
- The relevance and quality of academic and research programmes;
- Equitable access to and affordability of academic programmes for various sections of society;
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning;
- The credibility of evaluation procedures;
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support structure and services;
- Sharing of research findings and networking with other institutions in India and abroad.
Some of the functions expected of the IQAC are:
- Development and application of quality benchmarks/parameters for various academic and administrative activities of the institution;
- Facilitating the creation of a learner-centric environment conducive to quality education and faculty maturation to adopt the required knowledge and technology for participatory teaching and learning process;
- Arrangement for feedback response from students, parents and other stakeholders on quality-related institutional processes;
- Dissemination of information on various quality parameters of higher education;
- Organization of inter and intra institutional workshops, seminars on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles;
- Documentation of the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement;
- Acting as a nodal agency of the Institution for coordinating quality-related activities, including adoption and dissemination of best practices;
- Development and maintenance of institutional database through MIS for the purpose of maintaining /enhancing the institutional quality;
- Development of Quality Culture in the institution;
- Preparation of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) as per guidelines and parameters of NAAC, to be submitted to NAAC.
IQAC will facilitate / contribute
- Ensure heightened level of clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement;
- Ensure internalization of the quality culture;
- Ensure enhancement and coordination among various activities of the institution and institutionalize all good practices;
- Provide a sound basis for decision-making to improve institutional functioning;
- Act as a dynamic system for quality changes in HEIs;
- Build an organised methodology of documentation and internal communication.
|Members of the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC)|
|1||Management Member||Shri. P.S.Velusamy||Chairman & Management Trustee, SSM Group of Institutions|
|2||Management Member||Dr. R. Chandran||Campus Director, SSM Group of Institutions|
|3||Chairperson||Dr. D. Senthil Kumaran||The Principal, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology.|
|4||Coordinator||Dr. V. Shunmugavel||Professor, Department of CSE, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology.|
|5||Teacher Member||Dr. G. Sangara Narayanan||Professor & head, Department of Mechanical Engineering, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology.|
|6||Teacher Member||Dr. S. Karthigai Lakshmi||Professor, Department of ECE, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology.|
|7||Teacher Member||Dr. M. Santhosh||Professor & Head, Department of Automobile, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology.|
|8||Teacher Member||Dr. L. Ronald David||Associate Professor, Department of English, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology.|
|9||Administrative Member||Mr.P.Ramasamy||Administrative officer, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology.|
|10||External Expert||Mr. S. Ramalingam||Executive Director,|
Madura Steel Industries Pvt Ltd.,
|11||External Expert||Mr.M.Palani Kumar, B.E.,||Managing Director,|
Palaniappa Motors Pvt Ltd.,
|12||Alumni Member||Mr.K.Hariharasudhan||Associate@Level C1,e-Noah isolutions,Chennai.|
- Workshop entitled “Intellectual property rights and innovations“ on 23.11.2017 in association with R & D Cell
- FDP (Brainstorming Academic and Administrative Processes) on 16.12.2017.
- Goal Setting Workshop for faculty empowerment (03.05.18 – 04.05.18)
- Indo-Japanese seminar (Awareness for learning Japanese language) organized by IQAC – SSMIET and Queen City Rotary Club Dindigul on 21.03.2018
- Inauguration of “Students Quality Circle” & Motivational Speech on “Student Quality circle for Professional Growth“ on 11.09.2018
- Meeting for Student Quality circle members on 16.10.2018